Wednesday 11 January 2012

My Quest To Find A Hotel In Carlisle Described In Simple



I decided to visit Carlisle in Cumbria and, as is often my custom, I drove there with out a hotel booking, deciding to take a chance and leave my quest to find a hotel Carlisle until I actually arrived there. However the thing that I didn't know about Carlisle is that it only has about 25 hotels. Now this may sound like a lot but they often get fully booked up, not that surprising when you consider that the Carlisle Cathedral, the castle and the Tullie house museum and gallery get a combined total of visitors approaching 500 000 a year.

Carlisle - the Border City - is the major shopping, business-related and manufacturing centre in the northern half of Cumbria, as well as for a reasonable quantity of southern Scotland.

The Romans built a settlement here - principally to serve the forts on Hadrian's Wall. In the 12th century, King Henry I authorized the start of a religious establishment, soon after making the town a diocese, and therefore turning the Priory into a Cathedral. The Prior's Tower is next to the Cathedral and is home to a small exhibition in the pele tower.

Carlisle Castle is a superb medieval stronghold that has protected the City of Carlisle for more than nine centuries. The Castle is, furthermore, the quarters of the Border Regiment Museum that tells of the history of Cumbria's County Infantry Regiment, the Border Regiment and the King's Own Royal Border Regiment and the local Militia.

Personally, I have to thank the lovely people at the Carlisle Tourist Information Centre. You can find it in the Old Town Hall near to the Lanes shopping centre. They provide a full hotel booking service and found me a lovely hotel for a very reasonable price thereby bringing my quest to obtain a hotel in Carlisle to a happy conclusion.



No comments:

Post a Comment