Tuesday 20 December 2011

Sailing With My Family



For many years I have worked and worked and I did not have time for my own kids. I am a lawyer, trying to build my name and reputation. I would spend 20 hours of my day in the office trying to play out how I would handle the trial. I would literally spend more time in my office than in my own home. I have an understanding wife, but she also has her limits.

This time I knew I had to make up for lost time. My kids, Ella and Jimmy are 12 and 10 years old, respectively. I did not have time for them when they had their first school play, I did not have the time when the school had its family day activities, and I did not have the time whenever they would run out of their bedrooms screaming because they were too afraid of the lightning.

I am only a junior partner in our law firm. I was not yet entitled to a vacation. But I have to spend time with my children. There are just some things I have to risk losing to be able to get something, the love and attention of my wife and kids.

For the next two weeks, I will take my kids out on an unforgettable vacation. I will take them sailing over the weekend. We will have fun activities like fishing and swimming. For the next two weeks, I can caress my wife and kiss my children without having to worry about my schedule.

When I told my family about it they were ecstatic. They hugged and kissed me until I almost suffocated. The next day, we bought a sailing bag and other sailing gear. A sailing bag needs to be large enough to contain all of the necessities for sailing.

The following day, we went to the docks where the yacht that I rented out was anchored. When we were all onboard, I signaled for the captain to sail out to sea. My first sailing trip with my family was wonderful. I had no words to describe it. I hope this would not be the last time I can spend time with my family.



No comments:

Post a Comment